Thursday, June 12, 2008

I planted 300 sweet potato plants today. Four varieties. I am very excited. Here is the CSA flyer:


William Cramer’s Verdant Furrows

First Time CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

8 Weeks of delicious, nutritious veggies

Including Tomatoes, Beans, Squash and Zucchini, Carrots, Okra, Kale, Chard and other Greens, Cucumbers and more

Late June to Late August

The cost of a Small share for about $10 worth of produce each week is $80

Example week:
2 palette-wetting Tomatoes
2 crunchy cool Cukes
4 perfectly sweet Squash
1 bunch of raunchy Radishes
1 huge handful of Green Beans
1 eye-popping Hot Pepper

The cost of a Large share for about $20 worth of produce each week is $150

Example week:
3 juicy red Tomatoes
A Sweet Pepper
4 flavorful Squash
1 bunch of nutrient-packed Kale
A whole pound of Green Beans
1 handful of luscious Okra
3 big yummy Cukes
1 bunch of rabbit-taunting Carrots
A little bag of Basil

These eight weeks (starting sometime in the last two weeks of June) will be an experiment both for the farmer and the customer. This will be the first time I have managed my own CSA. I have many tasty things planted at the PLANT @ Breeze small farm incubator site in Schley (a few miles north of Hillsborough) and in a garden at a friend’s in Hillsborough. I hope to provide up to eight small shares worth of produce during these summer months and I plan to provide the opportunity to renew subscriptions after this first trial ends.

I will do my darnedest to see that all shares are interesting and varied.

No comments: